MCLC: Han Suyin dies at 95 (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 9 09:11:57 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Lily Lee <l.lee at sydney.edu.au>
Subject: Han Suyin dies at 95 (2)

The Wall Street Journal article is well balanced in my view. Twelve years
ago I wrote Han Suyin's biography for the Biographical Dictionary of
Chinese Women: The Twentith Century in which I gave, in a more moderate
tone, a similar verdict. However, being a former student of hers (at
Nanyang University, Singapore), I tried to find an excuse to lighten her
blame. I said, "However, her error might have been caused by an
overzealous desire to see China do well."  After so many years, I'm not
sure my good intention is justified.

Lily