MCLC: Words Without Borders China issue

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 2 08:43:16 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Nicky Harman <n.harmanic at gmail.com>
Subject: Words Without Borders China issue

The November 2012 issue of Words Without Borders
(http://wordswithoutborders.org/current-issue/) is on "Banned Chinese
authors." Here's their intro: "China's role in the global economy is
expanding, but its writers continue to struggle with censorship and
restrictions. This month we're presenting fiction, nonfiction, and essays
by banned Chinese writers. In work that could not be published in their
native country, the authors here testify to the conditions both during the
Cultural Revolution and now. We open with Liao Yiwu's impassioned
acceptance speech for the Peace Prize for the German Book Trade, just
awarded in mid October. Yang Xianhui exposes the hideous truth of the
Great Famine, and Xie Peng and Duncan Jepson contribute a graphic portrait
of gluttony. Chenxin Jiang interviews censored authors Yan Lianke and Chan
Koon-chung. In fiction, Chen Xiwo depicts scheming poets, and Sheng Keyi
describes a paradise turned dark. Activist Cui Weiping urges individual
action. And in two memoirs of the Cultural Revolution, the late Ji Xianlin
recalls his torture and imprisonment, and Zhang Yihe records a clandestine
meeting between the top two Rightists."

best
Nicky