MCLC: Pratt Media Studies MA

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 2 08:42:27 EDT 2012

MCLC LIST
From: Jonathan Beller <jbeller at pratt.edu>
Subject: Pratt Media Studies MA

Dear Friends,

As someone intimately involved with media-studies and visual-culture
students, I thought you (and your students) might be interested in knowing
about the new Graduate Program in Media Studies at Pratt Institute. This
M.A. program, which I am thrilled to be directing, will be accepting
applications this Fall for it¹s inaugural class entering in Fall 2013. I
have included some descriptive information directly below this note, and
below that please find a jpeg of our cool poster -- suitable for display,
of course.

 Additionally, if you or your students have any questions, please do not
hesitate to contact me at at jbeller at pratt.edu. Feel free to forward this
email to your student list if you think it is appropriate. We have a
couple of half tuition fellowships available and we are also interested in
international students and student diversity.

 I hope you will forgive this encroachment on your time. Please accept my
greetings and sincere thanks for your attention here.
 With best wishes,

 Jonathan Beller

Graduate Program in Media Studies

The Media Studies M.A. Program at Pratt is an intensive state-of-the-art
program shaped in relation to Pratt¹s art/design/architecture environment
and to the burgeoning mediascape, lively social space, and theoretical
scene of Brooklyn and New York City. Classes are small, following seminar,
workshop and experimental formats, and all classes are taught by
Professors.

It is a given that media emergence is rapidly transforming experience,
society and knowledge and that the saturation of the world by computers
and screens has changed practically everything. This program is designed
to foster, at an advanced level, the investigation of many of the
significant social, political, cultural, economic and aesthetic questions
of our time by drawing both on the historical record of media forms as
well as on cutting-edge theory regarding issues of nation, political
economy, gender, sexuality, race, aesthetic form, screen studies, etc. Our
program prepares students for careers in media, media arts, or for Ph.D.
programs in media by deepening and broadening each student¹s understanding
of the many interrelated functions of media in contemporary society. It
also encourages students to pursue independent trajectories and create
projects that may lead to places as yet uncategorized or defined.

The curriculum emphasizes studies of media, in their various forms,
including film, video, television, photography, radio, writing and the
computer-mediated convergence of these platforms. Guided by our diverse
faculty, students study the logics and logistics of media and mediation,
while they explore cultural technologies of expression, representation and
manipulation along with the aesthetic, economic and political contexts in
which such media operate. They also work on textual analysis,
interpretation and semiotics. Students gain expertise in media history,
media theory and media practice and are provided with opportunities for
internships. For more information click http://prattmediastudies.com
<http://prattmediastudies.com/>

Mediologies Conference

Each year in late April, the Media Studies Program hosts a conference,
Mediologies, which includes presentations of work and works-in-progress by
students, faculty, and guest presenters. These presentations may include
critical papers, films, exhibitions, games and the like ­ all of which
provide opportunities for discussion and debate of key issues. Seminar
courses being offered in the spring enable students to develop papers and
projects specifically for presentation at Mediologies.

Apply

If all this sounds appealing to you, we would welcome your application at
Pratt. We are seeking highly intelligent, motivated students who wish to
join a cohort of students and faculty working in an extraordinary program
utilizing the newest and most socially relevant methods of media study and
media theory. Applications for admission to the Master of Arts are due
January 5 for the following fall; the program accepts fall entrants only.
Applicants should have a B.A., B.S. or B.F.A. from an accredited
institution. Candidates submit (1) a statement of purpose in which they
describe their interest in the program; (2) 10-20 pages of relevant
writing sample(s), with emphasis on analytical writing about media; (3)
transcripts of undergraduate coursework; and (4) two letters of
recommendation. All applicants follow the standard admission process for
graduate programs at Pratt: see www.pratt.edu/apply
<http://www.pratt.edu/apply>.

Jonathan Beller
Professor