MCLC: bell tolls for Drum Tower homes

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 27 14:52:42 EST 2012

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: bell tolls for Drum Tower homes

Source: Channel News Asia (12/14/12):
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/featurenews/view/1242806/1/.html

Bell tolls for Beijing's Drum Tower homes
AFP

BEIJING - China's capital is to destroy swathes of ancient courtyard homes
surrounding a 13th-century landmark in what is being called an effort to
preserve Beijing's historical legacy, residents said Friday.

Large numbers of hutong homes, some of them dating back to the Qing
dynasty, will be demolished around the Drum and Bell Towers -- a tourist
hotspot in Beijing's historic centre -- to make way for a large plaza,
they said.

Notices for the "destroy and evict" project are plastered throughout the
quarter, dated Wednesday and saying the work was due to be completed by
February 24.

Besides protecting the historic legacy of the capital, the project is also
aimed at restoring and repairing old and dilapidated buildings, the
notices said.

Forced evictions are a major source of unrest in China. Ordinary citizens
routinely accuse local officials and developers of cashing in on a
property boom by clearing away longstanding residents to pave the way for
new projects.

Destroying old homes in central Beijing has particular sensitivity.
Critics say new development projects rob the capital of its cultural
legacy.

"We have been hearing this was going to happen for years, but now that the
notices are up there is not much you can do but leave," said souvenir shop
seller Ma Yong.

"When I first saw the notices I felt nothing but despair."

Besides having her rented shop torn down, Ma's small home nearby, where
she lives with her retired husband, will also be flattened.

Residents must negotiate compensation with the newly set up "destroy and
evict" office near the Bell Tower, with compensation beginning at around
40,000 yuan (US$5,800) per square metre.

Between 130 and 500 homes are to be destroyed, state press reports said.

Officials refused to answer questions when approached by AFP.

"A lot of people are opposed to the campaign, 40,000 yuan per square metre
is too cheap, especially with the price of housing in Beijing
sky-rocketing," said the manager of a coffee shop near the Drum Tower, who
gave her surname only as Wang.

"People are already asking for 150,000 yuan per square metre," she said.

Others said they were happy with the compensation.

"We took the money," said Zhou Li, 51, who was to move out to the suburbs
with his elderly parents this weekend after living most of his life near
the Bell Tower.

- AFP/ir