MCLC: special Yang Jiang issue of Renditions

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 25 10:34:34 EST 2011

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: special Yang Jiang issue of Renditions

Renditions
No. 76 (Autumn 2011)
Special Issue: Yang Jiang
Guest edited by Christopher G. Rea

In celebration of Yang Jiang's centenary year, this special issue presents
a sampling of works from Yang's eight-decade-long career, including new
translations of some of her best essays and short stories, as well as
excerpts from her first play (Heart's Desire, 1943), her memoirs, and her
most recent book, Arriving at the Margins of Life: Answering My Own
Questions (2007). Born during the year of the Republican revolution, Yang
Jiang (1911-) went on to distinguish herself as one of modern China'a most
accomplished and versatile scholar-writers. Best know for her understated
yet often humorous prose style, Yang is also an accomplished playwright
and novelist; a prodigious translator from French, Spanish, and English;
and an influential memoirist and intellectual who has come to be regarded
by many as a paragon of modern Chinese humanism.

Table of contents

'To Thine Own Self Be True¹: One Hundred Years of Yang Jiang
By Christopher G. Rea

Heart¹s Desire: Act I
Translated by Christopher G. Rea
<http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/rct/renditions/sample/b76_2.html>

What a Joke
Translated by Christopher G. Rea

On Qian Zhongshu and Fortress Besieged
Translated by Jesse Field

My Translations
Translated by Judith M. Amory and Yaohua Shi

We Three: Parts I and II
Translated by Jesse Field
<http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/rct/renditions/sample/b76_1.html>

Arriving at the Margins of Life: Answering My Own Questions: Excerpt
Translated by Jesse Field1

Notes on Contributors