[Heb-NACO] Romanisation of בביזנטיון

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 10 22:43:42 EDT 2023

This is an interesting discussion:

Her is my take:

Jamsin, the examples you listed are “constructs” of two nouns connected together, and when the first word of the construct ends with a long vowel, the following  letter, (in this case, the first letter of the second word), loses its dagesh, like it would within a single word.  I’m not one hundred percent sure if this happens consistently; there may be exceptions, but I believe this is the answer.
Unfortuantely, I could not find this documented anywhere. Cliff, or our other noted grammarians, could you please weigh in on my theory or take it one step further.

Heidi G. Lerner
Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica Emerita, Stanford University Libraries