[Heb-NACO] question regarding apparently duplicated NLI records

Neil Manel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Fri Jun 21 08:45:35 EDT 2019

Hi,

I am finding some records whose first author is J9U, the National Library,
encoded as [040 heb] but in fact their fields are in English. In parallel,
there is another record for the same entirely in Hebrew.

I know my explanation is confusing... Please take a minute and check
#1103962116 and #1091807807

It is unclear what was originally ton #1091807807 and what has been added
by others. My conundrum is that I can't just anglicize the NLI record, but
I am not understanding what's going on.  I figure either NLI is now
producing some records encoded ENG, or some catalogers are hybridizing
these records.

In any case --as a temporary exception-- I created a 3rd record entirely in
English. Depending on your answer, I will go ahead and merge whatever needs
to be merged.

Your advice is much appreciated. This is not something I see often, but it
is not a unique situation.

--

*Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D. *(he, him, his)

Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger

University of Maryland

4109 McKeldin Library

College Park, MD 20742

Phone (301) 405-9337