[Heb-NACO] question regarding apparently duplicated NLI records

Ahava Cohen Ahava.Cohen at nli.org.il
Sat Jun 22 14:52:10 EDT 2019

About #1091807807 I can say that this is not the same record as exists in our catalog. Our record is not hybrid and is correctly coded HEB (as well as $$e rda, which has dropped off the OCLC record). We have a 264#1 and not a 260 and, as evidenced by the 751, the place of publication is Tel Aviv and not, as in the OCLC record, Bnei Brak. The Hebrew year in the NLI record has been removed from the OCLC version. Not only has the 300 been put into English and no longer RDA compatible, the 2 unnumbered pages on our record have been removed. Our record has no 090. The $$2 in the 33X fields are not original – we never use a suffix of /heb.

Aside from the $$2, #1103962116 seems to be our record. I've looked over our correspondence with agencies and this is not a record we have ever discussed with any vendor. It seems that some cataloger within the US community is creating this confusion.

As I said at AJL during the discussion of problematic records with parallel fields which presumably originated from NLI, I am more than willing to help with the detective work but, all other things being equal, the better bet is that a vendor or US cataloger did something odd to the record rather than NLI creating a hybrid record.

-          Ahava

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D52944.BD051700]<http://www.nli.org.il/>

Dr. Ahava Cohen    |Head

Hebrew Catalogue Department

Mobile: +972-54-549-3644
Tel.:  +972-74-733-6231

The National Library of Israel, Jerusalem

ahava.cohen at nli.org.il<mailto:ahava.cohen at nli.org.il>  |  www.nli.org.il<http://web.nli.org.il/sites/NLI/English/Pages/default.aspx>

[cid:image002.png at 01D52944.BD051700]<http://www.facebook.com/NationalLibraryIsrael>  [cid:image003.png at 01D52944.BD051700] <http://www.youtube.com/user/NLI2010/featured>   [cid:image004.png at 01D52944.BD051700] <http://instagram.com/nli_israel>   [cid:image005.png at 01D52944.BD051700] <http://www.flickr.com/photos/64126959@N03/collections/>