[Heb-NACO] moladeti or moladti

Neil Manel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Wed Apr 25 13:46:16 EDT 2018

I do agree that "likateli" would be incorrect by all the rules. However,
even knowing that the Romanization rules usually disregard pronunciation, I
think the more we deviate from what a patron intuitively would type, the
less effective the system becomes. I have no solution for that. Perhaps
every time there is a major change in the system we'd do well polling a few
users for reactions. My two cents.

Neil

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Joan Biella <jbiella2632 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I vaguely remember LC endorsing “likateti” many years ago, in response to
> overwhelming public pressure—but there is no doubt at all that that
> romanization is “incorrect” by all the rules.  If examples still exist in
> the database, they really should be fixed!  My two cents.
>
> Joan
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 25, 2018, at 3:59 AM, Janet Shamir <Janet.Shamir at nli.org.il> wrote:
>
> This problem occurs with all verbs that combine a root that ends with a
> Dalet and a suffix beginning with a Tav. Some examples:
>
> Avadti, bagadta, ra ʻadt, limadtem, nilkadten, etc.
>
> It is also common with roots ending with a Ṭet under the same
> circumstances:
>
> Liḳaṭti (and not liḳaṭeti!), shafaṭta, hibaṭtem, etc.
>

> Janet
>

> ---
>

> Janet Shamir
>
> Hebrew Cataloging Department
>
> National Library of Israel

*Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D. *(he, him, his)

Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger

University of Maryland

4109 McKeldin Library

College Park, MD 20742

Phone (301) 405-9337