[Heb-NACO] author name as symbol

Kuperman, Aaron akup at loc.gov
Tue Oct 17 15:13:17 EDT 2017

It is possible for an author to include a symbol that we catalogers do not consider “proper”.  Look at the NAR n 2012204748‏, where an author actually includes a “@” as part of the personal name (“Rohana @ Norliza Yusof<http://viaf.org/viaf/275727965/#Rohana_@_Norliza_Yusof>”).  I checked websites that would ask her how to write her name (e.g. at her institution) and asked PSD about this (my inclination was to put a “[at]” in its place), and the PSD response is that it isn’t for us catalogers to change peoples’ names for them.  We probably should be suggesting an expanded character set in case more people decide to name themselves without checking Unicode or cataloging rules.--Aaron

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer