[Heb-NACO] author name as symbol

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 17 13:50:14 EDT 2017

Dear Collective Wisdom,

Several of you have holdings on the records for the titles Sefer ʻalaṭah (ocn 881168787) and Tsurat ʻatid (ocn 972489390). You may or may not have noticed that the t.p., t.p. verso, spine and cover have a big black dot in the place of an author’s name – that’s his symbolic pseudonym. (Surrogates attached for reference.) As per the DCMZ1 and BIBCO participant’s manual, “NARs are not made for personal names when the only clue to the person’s identity is a non-alphabetic or nonnumeric device, topical subject headings, or geographic features.” (The NLI<http://uli.nli.org.il/F/GFQGAEA68TJPI42GD9R79VXIMBCXIU311G84EXD1R2YTRGKSJL-44053?func=find-acc&acc_sequence=010494230> has disregarded this instruction and has him established as ·, with cross references from מחבר ספר עלטה, נקודה, and נקדה.)

Nevertheless, I would think that there should be some representation in at least the descriptive fields, lest it appear as though it’s a compiled work with just an editor. Per the LC-PCC PS on 1.7.5 (Symbols) section 4, I have changed the 24500 from

Tsurat ʻatid = ǂb Future tense / ǂc ʻorekhet ha-sefer, Naʻamah Tsal.

צורת עתיד = ǂb Future tense / ǂc [נקודה] ; עורכת הספר, נעמה צאל.
Tsurat ʻatid = ǂb Future tense / ǂc [Neḳudah] ; ʻorekhet ha-sefer, Naʻamah Tsal.

and added an explanatory 500:

On the title page the author pseudonym appears as a black dot.

(with similar changes to the bib for Sefer ʻalaṭah).

I do wonder, though, since the middle dot does appear in OCLC’s character menu (titled “dot in center of line”), i.e., it IS “represented in the character set” (LC-PCC PS) / and CAN “be reproduced by the facilities available” (RDA), should I not transcribe it as is (as the NLI<http://primo.nli.org.il/primo_library/libweb/action/dlDisplay.do?vid=NLI&docId=NNL_ALEPH003961242> has done):

צורת עתיד = ǂb Future tense / ǂc · ; עורכת הספר, נעמה צאל.
Tsurat ʻatid = ǂb Future tense / ǂc · ; ʻorekhet ha-sefer, Naʻamah Tsal.

What think you all?

Thanks, Jasmin

---
Jasmin Shinohara