[Heb-NACO] Transliterating yud heh vav heh

Miriam Gloger miriamgloger at bookops.org
Wed Jul 5 16:49:03 EDT 2017

According to the Hebrew cataloging manual:

http://rascat.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/118835961/HCM%20RDA%202017rev.pdf?force_download=1

Names of the Divinity
 Abbreviations representing the Tetragrammaton are romanized as they appear:
ALA-LC Romanization:
י' .Y
 ד' .D
ה' .H
 When an abbreviation for the Divine Name appears in one of the first five
words of a
bibliographic title it may be necessary to make one or more alternative
title added entry since the
pronunciation and hence the roman spelling of the Name, when given in full,
may vary with
differing interpretations or frames of reference.

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Joan Biella <jbiella2632 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Aaron, and would advocate for YHVH (subscript dot under V) as
> the least controversial way to deal with this situation.
>
> Joan
>
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Kuperman, Aaron <akup at loc.gov> wrote:
>
>> Assuming there are no nekudot, would it not be presumptuous for a
>> cataloger to claim to know how it would be pronounced.
>>

>> Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
>>
>> This is not an official communication from my employer

*Miriam Gloger*
Librarian II  Database Management Team (CMA)

(917) 229-9575
The New York Public Library - BookOps

Library Services Center
31-11 Thomson Ave