[Heb-NACO] 264 bracketed dates: = or that is?

Shinohara, Jasmin jshino at pobox.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 20 15:12:41 EDT 2016

1. You write below "present on the t.p. verso" and "present on the publication"; remember that both are equivalent in terms of RDA.  The entire body of work is considered the "preferred source of information" (formerly, "chief source of information", or "csi").  Where equivalent data appears in both vernacular and Roman forms, the "=" is used to show the two "parallel" forms.

2. Unless a work _specifically_ indicates a publication dates, the dates in the 264 are bracketed.  Hence, anywhere you have either a _copyright_ or a _printing_ date, it will be in brackets.

Putting 1. and 2. together:

A. If the resource gives a date anywhere in the publication in _both_ the Hebrew and the Gregorian forms, the 264 would give both, using the = to indicate both are present.
B. If the date is something other than a publication date and appears in _both_ the Hebrew and the Gregorian forms, it will appear as [Heb. = Greg.].
C. If a publication date is ONLY given in the Heb., the Heb. form will appear without brackets and "that is" will be added to give the inferred Greg. date inside brackets.
D. If a publication date is ONLY given in the Heb., BUT there is another form of the date in the Greg. OR a more detailed Heb. date appears elsewhere in the source, the Heb. form will appear without brackets and the inferred Greg. date will be given in brackets, without either "=" or "that is" because the data is neither equivalent nor inferred.

Capiche?  Others, did I miss anything?

Jasmin