[Heb-NACO] 264 bracketed dates: = or that is?

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 20 14:04:10 EDT 2016

Folks:

I've been seeing an awful lot of bracketed dates utilizing the equals
(=) sign, to wit:

where only a copyright of 774 and a copyright of 2014 are present on
the t.p. verso

$c [774 = 2014]

As I read the HCM (2.8.6, pp. 47-48), it appears that the equals sign
is only used in instances where there are two firm dates that are
unbracketed.  Again, as I understand it, inside brackets, the phrase
"that is" is used.

where only a copyright of 774 and a copyright of 2014 are present on
the publication

$c [774, that is, 2014]

Am I wrong? Have things changed?

Thanks