[Heb-NACO] words starting with דרמ-

Neil Manel Frau-Cortes nfrau at umd.edu
Fri Apr 29 09:34:04 EDT 2016

No offense, but have you ever tried to explain the crazy "deramah"
exception to somebody who is not a Hebrew cataloger?

Whoever has the power could just have eliminated the exception instead of
adding to it.

All linguistic systems tend to regularization
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regularization_(linguistics)>. In any
codification system, the more exceptions you add to rules, the less
effective the code is.

שבת שלום ומעדים לשמחה

Neil

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Heidi G Lerner <lerner at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I would certainly think so. I can't think why not.
>

> The wod, while not of themselves completely foreign words: they are based
> on one.
>

> Just my thoughts.
>

> Best, Heidi
>

> Heidi G. Lerner
>
> Metadata Librarian for Hebraica and Judaica
>
> Metadata Dept.
>
> Stanford University Libraries
>
> Stanford, CA 94305-6004
>
> ph: 650-725-9953
>
> fax: 650-725-1120

*Neil M. Frau-Cortes, Ph.D.*

Judaica, Hebraica and Metadata Cataloger

McKeldin Library

University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Phone (301) 405-9337