[Heb-NACO] words starting with דרמ-

Joan Biella jbiella2632 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 19:11:05 EDT 2016

The rule being followed here is the one that says Alcalay's vocalization
determines the romanization of words with ambiguous initial shevas.  If his
dictionary prints the sheva, we romanize it as "e."  This rule was laid
down for the benefit of catalogers who don't have access to spoken Hebrew
sources, and ensures a standard romanization for everyone.

Perhaps it is time to reconsider this rule, as some catalogers in some
circumstances certainly find it annoying.  The recent exchange about
psefas/pesefas dealt with the same issue.  Should this be discussed
seriously by the cataloging committee?

Joan