[Heb-NACO] safah berurah

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 16 12:24:50 EDT 2015

Hi Marlene:

Our "one-size-fits-all" approach to romanization renders the phrase as
"safah berurah," but the title is clearly citing the more nuanced
rendering of Tsefanyah.  The former in my opinion is valid in all
instances save in those cases where the Bible is cited, in which case
the latter applies. However, since the cited form is to say the least
unexpected to those familiar with Modern Hebrew, I suggest the
following solution

245XX  ... safah verurah

2463     ... safah berurah

Bob