[Heb-NACO] Milon Ariel

Kuperman, Aaron akup at loc.gov
Tue Jul 28 09:10:42 EDT 2015

Systematic romanization isn't supposed to be user friendly.   Users who can read a language read it in the original script.  Just ask yourself how often you've read something in  English written with Hebrew letters.  The library Romanization system was designed as a work around of library catalogs being unable to process non-Roman characters  We probably could save a lot of time and money if we went back to the way LC Romanization worked 40 years ago (245 $a and the 1xx/7xx headings - but not the rest of the description).

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer