[Heb-NACO] relationship designator for posek?

Kuperman, Aaron akup at loc.gov
Thu Jul 2 14:28:25 EDT 2015

1. But in any event, the person is neither the creator nor contributor, and a 700 heading would not be correct.

2. When relationship indicators are created for 600/610/630 headings, we probably want one for a work the claims to have been influence by someone or something else.  This is not a uniquely “Jewish” or “Hebrew” issue.  For Islamic law, there are specific “schools” that are added as headings, and for general law we have a heading in the pattern of “Law--[country or religion] influences” reflect the typical sorts of influences in most legal systems.

3. At present, there is always the option of a 600/610/630 heading with the subdivision $x Influence.

4. There is no problem in transcribing what is on the title page either in the 245 field, or as a quoted note in the 500 field.

Aaron K.

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.
This is not an official communication from my employer