[Heb-NACO] ha-rofe? (Physician)? ha-Rofe? Something else?

Fryser, Benjamin bfry at loc.gov
Fri Sep 12 15:55:36 EDT 2014

Bob, etal.

I question whether the descriptor “ha-Rofe”, “ Physician” or any other qualifier in the $c position is necessary or required by an rda instruction because the heading (n  80094757 ) does not conflict with  an identical heading for a different person and because  he is known primarily by the patronymic.  See http://www.worldcat.org/identities/lccn-n80094757/
I  recommend the following:

n  move the current 100 heading to a 400 reference position (earlier valid heading)

n  formulate the new rda heading as: 100 0 Jacob ben Joseph ben Jawb

n  delete the two 667 fields and re-code the NAR as appropriate.

n  Add any other 670 to support the new formulation

This is my opinion and does not represent the official position of the Library of Congress.

Benjamin Fryser