[Heb-NACO] Romanization: ayin lamed zayin vav zayin

Robert M. TALBOTT rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Tue May 14 16:43:48 EDT 2013

Holy smokes.  Thank you Jasmin, Manuel, and Heidi.

Yes, I have been leaning Elzozishly myself.  I discovered a historical
atlas this morning (Atlas histori shel am Yisrael / Y. Shapira (in multiple
editions)) that kindly includes vowel points and sure enough, on the map
showing Jewish settlements in Germany during the Crusades, Elzas (אלזס with
a segol and a patah) is written right where it should be.

I'm going to poke around a bit more before I commit, but if I find anything
definitive, I'll announce with great fanfare.

Cheers