[Heb-NACO] more on 240/7xx form.selections

Robert Talbott rtalbott at library.berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 7 16:34:00 EST 2013

Joan, Heidi, the rest of you:

I'll preface this by saying that my intent is not to embarrass anyone;
we're all learning the new rules, and erring during this time is very
understandable. I present this only because it runs counter to every
fiber of my being, and like so much else, makes me sweat uncontrollably
and short of breath with the implications.

So, a few choice selections from the relevant record

010 2012491374
040 DLC ǂb eng ǂc DLC ǂd PUL ǂd OCLCO
020 9789655360776
1001 Gordon, Judah Leib, ǂd 1830-1892.
24010Essays. ǂk Selections.
24510Li-lemod et śefat ha-moledet : ǂb maʼamarav shel Y.L. Gordon
be-Ṿoḥsod be-shanim 118-1882 : osef tagumim = To learn one's mother
tongue : collected translations of Y.L. Gordon's essays in Voschod,
1881-1882 / ǂc tirgemah, he-hidirah ṿe-tserfah mevoʼot ṿe-heʻarot Rinah
Lapidos.
70012Gordon, Judah Leib, ǂd 1830-1892. ǂt Essays. ǂk Selections.
70012Gordon, Judah Leib, ǂd 1830-1892. ǂt Essays. ǂk Selections. ǂl Russian.

This is an AACR2, but it's been put through the RDA paces, and since
we've got so many questions about RDA structure and practice, it'll
serve just as well as a full RDA record would. For the sake of this
question, please ignore the typos, romanization, and the coding errors.

The piece is a collection of essays written by Gordon originally in
Russian for a serial "Vos'hod" translated into Hebrew. The only Russian
we have present is is the occasional word.

My treatment, based on my understanding of the rules, would be this:

1001 Gordon, Judah Leib, ǂd 1830-1892.
24010Essays. ǂl Hebrew. ǂk Selections.
There is nothing else to account for, so the 7xx's would be excluded,
though I think I might plop in a 730 for the serial

Am I missing something? Is the record okay as is? If this is true, why?

Bob