[Heb-NACO] RDA 2.3.3.3 Parallel title anxiety

Heidi G Lerner lerner at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 11 16:02:53 EDT 2012

Hi Bob,

I have been doing it as per your "solution 1" since I began cataloging in RDA.
RDA 2.3.3.2 tells us that we can take a parallel title proper from any place within the resource and according to ISBD punctuation it would appear in the same area as the title/statement of responsibility (RDA appendix D1.1.1).

RDA has also given us a different treatment for statements of responsibilities than we had in AACR2:

AACR2
1.1F1.  Transcribe statements of responsibility appearing prominently in the item in the form in which they appear there. If a statement of responsibility is taken from a source other than the chief source of information, enclose it in square brackets.

RDA
2.4.2.2

Sources of Information
Take statements of responsibility relating to title proper from the following sources (in order of preference):

a)

the same source as the title proper (see 2.3.2.2 )

b)

another source within the resource itself (see 2.2.2 )

c)

one of the other sources of information specified under 2.2.4 .

If we were cataloging under AACR2 rules and we had the title proper appearing on the title page as the chief source of information, and there was a statement of responsibility on the title page verso, we would bracket the statement of responsibility in the "delimiter c" of the MARC 245 field.

However under RDA, in the same situation we would not bracket the statement of responsibility since it can be taken from anywhere in the resource being cataloged.

So that is how I understand how a parallel title proper that does not appear in the same location within a resource as the title proper, should also be treated. In other words it will appear unbracketed in the MARC 245 field with an optional 500 supporting note.

 FYI: there is discussion about parallel
titles (from a British Library revision proposal) going on in JSC
right now. See:
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-BL-9.pdf
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-BL-9-LC-response.pdf
http://www.rda-jsc.org/docs/6JSC-BL-9-ALA-response.pdf