[Heb-NACO] $x Liturgy -- Texts or $x Prayers and devotions

Cliff Miller clmiller at jtsa.edu
Thu Jun 28 12:06:30 EDT 2012

I would not equate Bene Israel with all Jews in India.
To me, none of the main communities of Jews of India is a sect,
but each has distinctive liturgical practices.
Encyclopedia Judaica articles INDIA & BOMBAY/MUMBAI relate:

6 of 8 remaining synagogues are Bene Israel, and they are the ones who use Marathi.

A 2nd group that was important, Few Cochin Jews remain in India.

2 of 8 remaining synagogues are of Baghdadi (& Yemeni) Jews, who use Judeo-Arabic.

Evidently, Persian Jews in India use neither Marathi nor Arabic.
And, if we set aside Bene Efraim & Bene Menasheh, there are a few Ashkenazic Jews