[Heb-NACO] $x Liturgy -- Texts or $x Prayers and devotions

Jasmin Nof jnof at upenn.edu
Wed Jun 27 15:43:03 EDT 2012

Hello Wise Ones,

I'm cataloging a number of prayer books from India, some clearly
indicating that it's the minhag of the Jews of Kochin, others simply
published in Bombay (sometimes with or without Marathi text).

My question is regarding the subject subdivision to be used after
Judaism $z India: should the subdivision be $x Liturgy $v Texts or $v
Prayers and devotions. Looking in the auth. file, I see there are
records for both types, but only the former has usage instructions: "ǂi
subdivision ǂa Liturgy--Texts ǂi under individual Jewish sects and rites
and under individual Jewish ceremonies, rituals, holidays, etc., e.g. ǂa
Karaites--Liturgy--Texts; Judaism--Ari rite--Liturgy--Texts;
Seder--Liturgy--Texts; Yom Kippur--Liturgy--Texts". Are the Jews of
India considered a sect, in which case Judaism ǂz India ǂx Liturgy ǂv
Texts is correct? Or is it not a sect, in which case I should use
Judaism ǂz India ǂv Prayers and devotions. (Both are used in LC
records.) "Bene Israel" is not mentioned anywhere in the text, or do I
assume that all Jews of India are considered "Bene Israel", in which
case it would certainly be Bene Israel $x Liturgy $v Texts, with an
added heading of Judaism ǂz India ǂv Prayers and devotions.

Please advise. Thanks, Jasmin

Jasmin Nof
Hebraica Cataloging Librarian
Cataloging&  Metadata: Original Cataloging
Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center
3420 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
T. 215-746-6397