[Heb-NACO] Israeli Compound last names

Galron, Joseph galron.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 25 15:05:49 EDT 2012

Colleagues

I noticed that US libraries treat Israeli compound names the same way as American names and I am not sure that the Israeli colleagues agree:
Today I put my hand on the last book by Einat Baram Eshel (עינת ברעם אשל) – מלחמת הריאליזם על נפשו

The heading for the author in LC’s and OCLC Name Authority file is: Eshel, Einat Baram.
Checking ULI – we can find 20 Israeli libraries: 19 libraries entered the author as Bar’am Eshel, Enat  and only one library as Eshel, Enat Bar’am [it might be that that library has a US born catalog librarian :)]

Shouldn’t we treat Israeli authors the same way as the Israeli librarians do?

BTW – Our colleague, Racheli Leket Mor of Arizona State University, has also a compound name: her maiden name is Leket (see NAR no 98093959), Mor is Tsafrir’s (Racheli’s husband) last name, but she goes as Leket Mor and not as Mor.

Joseph (Yossi) Galron-Goldschlaeger
Head, Hebraica & Jewish Studies  Library
355A Thompson Memorial Library
The Ohio State University Libraries
1858 Neil Ave. Mall
Columbus, Ohio 43210 USA
E-Mail: galron.1 at osu.edu<mailto:galron.1 at osu.edu>  or jgalron at gmail.com<mailto:jgalron at gmail.com>
Tel.: (614) 292-3362,  Fax: (614)292-1918
Lexicon of Modern Hebrew Literature:
http://hebrewlit.notlong.com<http://hebrewlit.notlong.com/>