[Comicsstudiessociety] [EXTERNAL] Re: Introduction

Matthew Noe matthewnoe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:25:57 EST 2020

Hi y'all,

I am definitely more often a lurker than poster here, but figured I should
say hello!

My name is Matthew Noe (he/him) and I'm currently the Lead Collection &
Knowledge Management Librarian at Countway Library, Harvard Medical School.
I also teach part-time at the University of Kentucky, School of
Information, though I don't do much with comics at UK since I teach
Foundations of Information Technology. In my main work roles, my comics
connection is with curating our graphic medicine collection, doing outreach
to our main communities (Medical, Dental, Public Health schools), as well
as to the main campus, about using comics in health
environments/storytelling, and either teaching or bringing in outside folks
to teach/present on graphic medicine. Admittedly, most of this work has
been rather difficult under our remote set-up this year.

Beyond the day-jobs, I am a founding board member and Treasurer for the
Graphic Medicine International Collective (semi-new formalization of the
group responsible for the graphic medicine website
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.graphicmedicine.org/__;!!KGKeukY!jZeSN6OWld2a4d7Mgkz4j6uVXEWT3OftHWilA5Yz0F7KsUc_vwR-7z-id0BXoC8lPz5RY1eY32Pl$ >, conferences, etc.), as well as
transitioning from generically working on our website to figuring out what
our social media presence should look like (haphazard right now). I'm the
President-Elect for the American Library Association Graphic Novels and
Comics Round Table <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.ala.org/rt/gncrt/about-gncrt__;!!KGKeukY!jZeSN6OWld2a4d7Mgkz4j6uVXEWT3OftHWilA5Yz0F7KsUc_vwR-7z-id0BXoC8lPz5RY8wCUy3o$ >, which
involves a bunch of stuff, and one of the 2020 ALA Emerging Leaders. And
I'm one of the co-conveners and now Chair of the Medical Library
Association Medical Humanities Caucus
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.mlanet.org/page/caucus-mh__;!!KGKeukY!jZeSN6OWld2a4d7Mgkz4j6uVXEWT3OftHWilA5Yz0F7KsUc_vwR-7z-id0BXoC8lPz5RY7SBznAR$ > (soon to be Health Humanities). If
you have questions or ideas or want to get more involved with ANY of these,
please send me a note and I'm happy to chat about it!

Most recently, I've begun writing short reviews and lesson plans (K-12,
primarily) for Diamond Bookshelf under the column name "Noe's Comics Nook"
- this just began in November and the first set of reviews can be found here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.diamondbookshelf.com/Home/1/1/20/823?articleID=247205__;!!KGKeukY!jZeSN6OWld2a4d7Mgkz4j6uVXEWT3OftHWilA5Yz0F7KsUc_vwR-7z-id0BXoC8lPz5RYx5oEx5N$ >. I've
done some scholarly writing (co-written book chapters, a scoping review,
etc.), mostly on graphic medicine but also on critical librarianship and
health sciences collection management. It's interesting to balance all
these and their convergences to say the least.

I can usually be found yelling about all manner of things and listening to
what others have to yell about over on Twitter (@NoetheMatt), if that's
your kind of place.

Stay safe!
Matthew

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 8:54 AM Patrick D. Holt via ComicsStudiesSociety <
comicsstudiessociety at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone!  My name is Patrick Holt (he/him), and I'm a public librarian
> in Durham, North Carolina, where I'm lucky enough to be the lead organizer
> of our annual Durham Comics Fest
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://durhamcomicsfest.org/__;!!KGKeukY!iA0UmqfJQoFpGjnZFv2Ba5EoHCkgDT3TzkSMXXh6lfUJjaO6l53wjpqqyU1-4vo7Si3VlgDf2aBH$>
> and a lively local cartoonist support network
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://durhamcomicsfest.org/tccn/__;!!KGKeukY!iA0UmqfJQoFpGjnZFv2Ba5EoHCkgDT3TzkSMXXh6lfUJjaO6l53wjpqqyU1-4vo7Si3VllK6ELaB$>.
> That all probably makes me the most out-of-place here in the CSS ranks, but
> I've been made to feel very welcome all the same :)
>
> For all the amazing work that public libraries have done advocating for
> comics readers, I've sometimes felt a bit let down by the discourse in that
> chunk of the profession.  Engaging with comics scholarship -- history,
> theory, criticism -- has been a big part of my trying to amend that in my
> little corner of the world, and it informs my support of readers and
> creators on a daily basis.  I also do occasional writing *about* comics
> scholarship *for* librarians at 741.5 And Then Some
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.7415andthensome.com/__;!!KGKeukY!iA0UmqfJQoFpGjnZFv2Ba5EoHCkgDT3TzkSMXXh6lfUJjaO6l53wjpqqyU1-4vo7Si3VliRloczf$> in
> an effort to bring the two worlds together a bit.  So thank you, scholars,
> and keep up the good work!
>
> Patrick

*Matthew N. Noe, MSLS** | Lead Collection and Knowledge Management
Librarian*

Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine | Harvard Medical School

10 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115

617-432-8964 | matthew_noe at hms.harvard.edu

Graphic Medicine: https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.graphicmedicine.org__;!!KGKeukY!jZeSN6OWld2a4d7Mgkz4j6uVXEWT3OftHWilA5Yz0F7KsUc_vwR-7z-id0BXoC8lPz5RYwdrG-iJ$  | Twitter: @NoetheMatt
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.twitter.com/noethematt__;!!KGKeukY!jZeSN6OWld2a4d7Mgkz4j6uVXEWT3OftHWilA5Yz0F7KsUc_vwR-7z-id0BXoC8lPz5RY36gYUpj$ >