[Comicsstudiessociety] [EXTERNAL] Re: Introduction

Patrick D. Holt Patrick.D.Holt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:54:29 EST 2020

Hi everyone!  My name is Patrick Holt (he/him), and I'm a public librarian
in Durham, North Carolina, where I'm lucky enough to be the lead organizer
of our annual Durham Comics Fest <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://durhamcomicsfest.org/__;!!KGKeukY!iA0UmqfJQoFpGjnZFv2Ba5EoHCkgDT3TzkSMXXh6lfUJjaO6l53wjpqqyU1-4vo7Si3VlgDf2aBH$ > and a
lively local cartoonist support network <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://durhamcomicsfest.org/tccn/__;!!KGKeukY!iA0UmqfJQoFpGjnZFv2Ba5EoHCkgDT3TzkSMXXh6lfUJjaO6l53wjpqqyU1-4vo7Si3VllK6ELaB$ >.
That all probably makes me the most out-of-place here in the CSS ranks, but
I've been made to feel very welcome all the same :)

For all the amazing work that public libraries have done advocating for
comics readers, I've sometimes felt a bit let down by the discourse in that
chunk of the profession.  Engaging with comics scholarship -- history,
theory, criticism -- has been a big part of my trying to amend that in my
little corner of the world, and it informs my support of readers and
creators on a daily basis.  I also do occasional writing *about* comics
scholarship *for* librarians at 741.5 And Then Some
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.7415andthensome.com/__;!!KGKeukY!iA0UmqfJQoFpGjnZFv2Ba5EoHCkgDT3TzkSMXXh6lfUJjaO6l53wjpqqyU1-4vo7Si3VliRloczf$ > in an effort to bring the two worlds
together a bit.  So thank you, scholars, and keep up the good work!

Patrick