[Comicsstudiessociety] Disability in Comics seminar: readings, resources you'd recommend?

Candida Rifkind c.rifkind at uwinnipeg.ca
Mon Jul 6 15:46:25 EDT 2020

Hi Charles. I just finished Dancing after TEN  and will be teaching it in my Canadian Comics course in the Winter. It's terrific.

Another suggestion is Dear Scarlet by Teresa Wong, about post-partum depression (although I didn't look back to see if your course includes mental health): https://arsenalpulp.com/Books/D/Dear-Scarlet

I taught Lee Frances IV's and Weshoyot Alvitre's Sixkiller #1 in my Indigenous Comics course last Fall and students loved it, although they were dying to read the next volumes that aren't out yet. It's an Alice in Wonderland revisioning involving a character with schizophrenia that raises important questions about psychiatry, colonialism, and missing and murdered Indigenous women, even in just the first volume (available digitally):

https://redplanetbooksncomics.com/products/sixkiller-1?_pos=4&_sid=5961c76d4&_ss=r

Will be following for more titles!

Candida

Candida Rifkind, PhD

Professor | Department of English | University of Winnipeg

515 Portage Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2E9 CANADA
@candidarifkind | www.candidarifkind.com<http://www.candidarifkind.com> | uwinnipeg.ca/english<https://www.uwinnipeg.ca/english/index.html>

Executive Board | Comics Studies Society

http://comicssociety.org/

Co-Editor | Crossing Lines: Transcultural/Transnational Comics Studies

Wilfrid Laurier University Press
https://www.wlupress.wlu.ca/

At the University of Winnipeg, we acknowledge that we are gathered on ancestral lands, on Treaty One Territory. These lands are the heartland of the Métis people. We acknowledge that our water is sourced from Shoal Lake 40 First Nation.