[Comicsstudiessociety] Disability in Comics seminar: readings, resources you'd recommend?

Charles Hatfield charles.hatfield at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:32:05 EDT 2020

Thanks, all, for your responses so far!

I’ve submitted a request to join Kriota Willberg’s Graphic Medicine Confab
for the remaining sessions — sounds great! (I’ve taught Willberg’s superb
“Silver Wire” a few times, and will again; and I’ve written a bit about
Webber’s *Dumb* — looking forward to reading her collaboration with Vivian
Chong, *Dancing after TEN.*)

At this point, I’m particularly anxious to strengthen the intersectionality
focus of my “Disability in Comics” syllabus by incorporating sustained
works of comics (and relevant scholarship) at the intersection of race and
disability.

To that end, can any listers recommend comics or related scholarship with a
disability focus by and about BIPOC, Asian, or other “non-white” or
racialized subjects? (I am sorry if I’ve posed the question awkwardly or
insensitively; I am searching for a better vocabulary.) I’m anxious to find
readings, resources, and perhaps scholars or creators who might be willing
to Zoom into my grad class.

(*Dancing after TEN* would seem relevant here. I’m eager for other examples
too.)

CH
Charles Hatfield