Exp 7 - notebook procedure, graph, report, etc. (1 of 2)

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 16 11:12:53 EST 2022

I always get questions about exp 7 and what should be in the notebook
and whether there is a report.  You will be doing a computer simulation
for Part 1 of the lab and taking data for Part 2.

I've modified the Exp 7 material on Carmen this morning.  The lab
is IN PERSON (NOT in Zoom).

Bring your iPads.  You can also bring your laptop for Part 1 but it will
work on an iPad.  You will need an iPad for Part 2.  Don't worry if you
don't have one.  The TA will split you into groups of two so that each
group has a iPad.

The simulation can NOT be done at home.  You have to do it in the
lab setting.  The TA will periodically check with you to see how you're
doing.  You will do this in your notebook and turn the notebook in at the
end.  This is graded as part of the report/exp score.

All information collected for both the Part 1 (simulation) and Part 2
(experimental) goes in the notebook.  While you will be working in
groups each of you should be writing all the information in your own
notebook in your own words.

The notebook and report consists of several parts.

NOTEBOOK:

The purpose should be in the notebook (try to condense the objectives
into 2-3 sentences).

Part 1 (simulation part):

You don't need to put the whole procedure for the simulation in your
notebook.  Just put in the titles for each subsection (Part 1, Quantized
Energy and Photons, Line Spectra, etc.) and the tables for each of those
subsections from pages 53-65 (i.e. the tables corresponding to these
subsections). You will record your "data" and observations from the
simulation in these tables. Answer ALL questions posed in the manual
(write answers in the notebook) and fill in all the tables shown in the
manual in your notebook (even though some of them state to answer
them in the report, the notebook pages are being considered part of
the report so you don't have to repeat them - see below).

I will send a follow-up e-mail with more details.

Part 2 (starting on page 66 - experimental part):

Write out the procedure on pages 66-67.  Pages 72-73 has Data to
Collect boxes and table (same table as on page 70).  This should be
in your notebook for Part 2.  You will collect data from the
spectrophotometer using an app that you download to your iPad.
The link for doing so is in the manual and repeated here,
http://go.osu.edu/spectralanalysis.  There are instructions in the lab
manual for how to set it up.  Even though this is going to show you
the spectrum and give the wavelengths you have to make sketches
in your notebook of the H and He spectra.

REPORT:

This is done individually. NO GROUP work!!!

There is no "formal" report.  You will turn in the notebook pages before
leaving lab as usual.  This will count as part of the grade.

For this report there is a report template on Carmen which has the
information on pages 68-71.  You MUST use this template for the report.
NO scans or pictures of these pages will be accepted.  NO scans of data
or calculations will be accepted.

Insert a cover page (as usual) and fill in the info in the template (pages
67-70).  You can use Excel to make the tables on page 70 and replace
the table in the report template or you can simply type your numbers
directly into the tables.

For the "report", you don't need a purpose, procedure, discussion section
or conclusion section.  There is one sample calculation using the
Rydberg eqn.

There is NO graph for this exp.  If you see any references in my e-mails
or at the Laboratory link on my personal class webpages ignore them and
let me know about them.  We've recently made changes to the
spectrophotometers being used and how we're doing this experiment.

Summary of Report:

Report template with added cover page  (MUST use the template on Carmen)
Sample calculation dealing with the Rydberg eqn and table on page 70 of
the manual.

Pre-lab and Post-lab:

There is an on-line pre-lab.  The video still has instructions for a calibration
curve based on using the old spect. and there's a section about graphing.
Even though we're not doing a graph for this new version of the exp you
still have to do this in the pre-lab.  It will be helpful for subsequent labs.

There is no post-lab quiz or data-entry.

Please go to the following link for questions about exp 7, the notebook,
procedure, the link to the simulation, etc.

Laboratory<http://chemistry.osu.edu/%7Erzellmer/chem1250/lab/lab_1250.htm>

Dr. Zellmer