Is an 8s subshell/orbital possible?

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 15 18:53:06 EST 2022

I got a question about 6.61 (14th & 13th ed.), 6.55 (12th ed.), 6.53 (10th and 11th ed.).

This question asks which are impossible combinations of n and l. Hopefully you did this

problem and understood there is no 1p or 2d.

I'm sending this to ask you about something like a 6f.  Can that exist?  Of course it does.

Think about exp 7 you did and things we covered in class.  Hydrogen has 1 electron in the

1s subshell in its ground state.  Are there other levels, such as the 2nd (n=2), 3rd (n=3),

etc.?  Of course there are. There's simply no electrons present in those shells until the 1s

electron is excited there by an input of energy to get an excited state.  Just because there

are  no electrons in an 8s or 6g or 10d, etc., subshell in the ground states of any of the

known elements doesn't mean the subshells don't exist. Remember, there was a time we

didn't even know about the elements in the bottom two rows with electrons in the 4f and 5f.

Does that mean they didn't exist?  Of course they did, we just hadn't discovered elements

with electrons in those subshells yet.

I hope this clears up any questions about this.

Dr. Zellmer