talking to each other about current quizzes or exams

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 21 18:33:32 EST 2023

Sometimes I hear from students or TAs about students talking to each
other about what's on a quiz, after they've taken a quiz. If you tell
someone what is on a quiz you've already taken but before they've
done their quiz or help them while they're working on it that is
considered academic misconduct. I'm pretty sure most of you realize
this.

What about two students who've already taken the quiz discussing
the problems on the quiz after they're both done but the quiz isn't
over?  This may not necessarily be considered academic misconduct.
However, a fellow student who hasn't taken the quiz could be nearby
and overhear you.  That gives them some idea of what may be on the
quiz or the kinds of questions asked. That could very well help them
do better.  That could possibly be academic misconduct.  I know this
isn't very likely this semester with the quizzes being on-line with
everyone taking a quiz in the same time window.  However, still be
careful about this.

This also applies to exams since there could be people taking the
exams at alternate times the day of the exam or even on other days
due to university or other conflicts with the regular exam time.  These
students could be in your lab or recitation and certainly in lecture.
While the questions they see may not be exactly like the ones you
saw they will be similar.  Telling students what was on the actual exam
could help them on the alternate exam or make-up exam at the end of
the semester (which will be different than the regular exams).

Telling someone about what's on a quiz or exam is academic
misconduct.  Posting questions and/or answers on the internet is
academic misconduct.  You don't want to have to go through that.
It's not worth it.

If you're thinking of getting help from someone, don't.  In the long
run it doesn't help you.  Doing poorly on one quiz isn't going to
hurt since we drop 2 quizzes.  Come speak to me to see what you
could do differently.  Fix your mistakes so you don't make the same
mistakes on a midterm which is 14% of your course grade.  I've had
students who didn't do great on the quizzes (better than average
though) who fixed things and then did very well on the midterms
and wound up with a very good grade (even an A).

Dr. Zellmer