FYI: geckos and van der Waals forces - Attractive Forces

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 20 20:27:00 EST 2023

This deals with attractive forces and is related to Ch 11 and Ch 13.
It's just for your information.

There's a link on my homepage about an article (from The Columbus
Dispatch) about geckos and why their feet are "sticky" and they can
climb on walls.  It has to do with van der Waals attractive forces.
These are London Forces and Dipole-Dipole AF.  In this case, largely
(if not entirely) LF.  Amazing, something you've learned about is actually
applicable in your everyday life.  Well, at least if you are a gecko or
want to climb on walls like one.  Someday that may just be possible.
They are now developing adhesives that mimic the little hairs on the
geckos feet that allow it to cling to walls. These adhesives and tapes
will be reusable.

You will find the link toward the bottom of my homepage and I've
included it here,

https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/zellmer.1/gecko.pdf

A group at the University of Akron (among other places) has developed
a tape that works w/o any glue by mimicking how a gecko's foot works.
The home page is

http://blogs.uakron.edu/dhinojwala/biomimetics/

Gecko feet hold clues to creating bandages that stick when wet<http://www.uakron.edu/im/online-newsroom/news_details.dot?newsId=bdeffc93-3f0c-470b-be04-da96ff892271&crumbTitle=Gecko%20feet%20hold%20clues%20to%20creating%20bandages%20that%20stick%20when%20wet>

There is a product called Geckskin developed at UMass that uses the same van der Waal force
principals. A 3x5 notecard sized piece of the material can hold a 700 lb. block of metal to glass.
The link is below.

https://geckskin.umass.edu/

Dr. Zellmer