Chem 1220 Supplemental Info (textbook problems, notes, office hours)

Zellmer, Robert zellmer.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 11 15:05:29 EST 2023

Here's some supplemental info.  It was part of the audio/visual syllabus even though it's
not part of the "official" syllabus.  I highly suggest you watch the audio/visual syllabus,
particularly pages 7-11.  Page 11 is the "supplemental" page.

You can find the information about my office location, phone # and office hours (with the
links) in the "Contacts" section in Carmen.  My office info is also on my personal course
homepage.

Dr. Zellmer

Textbook Practice Assignments: Textbook practice assignments are posted on-line on
the course web page (not Carmen).  These are the End-of-Chapter (EOC) Exercises which I
feel you need to be able to do or you will not learn the material and will not do well on quizzes
and exams.  These practice assignments will NOT be graded, only the on-line Mastering
Chemistry (MC) is graded.  However, doing ALL assigned problems is often the best way to
determine how well you understand the material.

The publisher's solution manual for the 15th edition containing worked-out solutions and
explanations for every EOCE is on Carmen.  See the "Textbook End-of-Chapter Exercises
and Solutions Manuals" module.  Use the solutions manual to check your answers after
doing each problem (do not do a whole bunch before checking to see if you're doing them
correctly).  Having the solutions allows you to check your work for every single EOC exercise.
Do not simply read the solutions and use them as a crutch rather than using them to help you
learn the material.

There aren't enough problems assigned in MC for you to really learn the material. I always suggest
doing at least some of the textbook problems before you do the MC homework, the latter being for
credit.  This way you can work out the "bugs" in your understanding by working on textbook problems
which aren't for credit before doing the MC.  This will allow you to get through the MC homework
faster and maximize your points because you'll hopefully make fewer mistakes on them.  Points are
deducted in MC for wrong answers (3%) and for asking for a hint (2%).  That's not much but it
could add up if all you're doing is trying to guess answers.

Remember, you don't have to worry about losing points for doing EOC Exercises.  Also, you can
use the solutions manual on Carmen when you get stuck for hints and then try to complete the
problem on your own. Then check your work and answer with the rest of the solution.  Anytime you
need help to answer a question you need to do another problem.  Most EOC problems come in pairs
so if you needed help on a problem do the companion problem as well.  Most times the MC problems
will be due on Fridays and Saturdays.  They will generally be available for several days, most often
for a week, before the actual due date so you don't have to wait until Fri and Sat to do them, or at
least get started on them.  My suggestion is to do the EOC Exercises during the week as we go along.
Then use the MC problems the following weekend as your review for the quiz on Sunday.  The MC
problems generally cover the material from the previous week and are related to what's on the Sunday
night quiz.

Lecture Notes: Available on the course web page (not Carmen).  I would suggest printing them and
bringing them to lecture.  It will make it easier for you to keep up.  See course web pages and Carmen for
additions or corrections.  These are PDF files so you can use a tablet computer (iPad, Android, etc.) which,
with the proper app (like Notability), would allow you to write on them and record the lecture, a very useful
feature (more useful than "Angry Birds").  Notability will also allow you to record the lecture audio.  Then if
you rewatch the lecture notes the audio is there as well.

Asynchronous, pre-recorded lecture videos are posted on Carmen using these notes.  How to use them?
That's up to you.  My suggestion is to skim 3-4 sections in the book before lecture (read through them
quickly w/o worrying if you're understanding things).  Then come to lecture and take notes.  Then when
studying if you get stuck on something in the book and think you missed something in lecture you can
watch that part of the video.  You can also simply decide to rewatch lecture to aid in your understanding.
You could watch them before lecture instead of skimming the book but if you do, I suggest you speed them
up a little (like 1.5 to 2 times the speed).  They're really meant for people who miss lecture due to an illness
or emergency.

Office Hours:  I will be available via Zoom on T,R 9-10 AM, 1-2 PM and Tue, 7:30-8:30 PM ( changed
the latter yesterday from 7-8 PM).  This is on my personal course homepage.  You can find the links in the
Zoom link in the Carmen course menu and the "Contacts" area in Carmen.  You can also make an
appointment for other times by sending me an e-mail or just stop by my office (1052 Evans Lab).  I will limit
the number of students in my office to a few at a time (a small office).  During the Zoom office hours there
may be multiple students present.  This is a good thing since it allows for better discussions, and someone
may ask a question you didn't think about. Feel free to call my office phone (614-292-2149) and leave a
message.  Our phone system lets me know of voice messages via e-mail.