[Vwoolf] Excursions x Outside/rs journal issue

Marielle O'Neill (1806529) PHD M.ONeill at leedstrinity.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 07:39:22 EDT 2023

Dear Woolfians,

I am writing to let you know all know Excursions x Outside/rs; the journal issue I co-edited featuring selected papers from the Outside/rs 2022 conference that I co-organised at the University of Brighton has now been published under the aegis of the University of Sussex. The issue is available for free online.

See:
Vol. 13 No. 1 (2023): Outside/rs 2022 - SPECIAL ISSUE | Excursions Journal (sussex.ac.uk)<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://excursions-journal.sussex.ac.uk/index.php/excursions/issue/view/outsiders__;!!KGKeukY!x5zK9ucMyUkRaKx4rAihYCHTHH109CZ0qNXsTgPkhO4EvAEKjJata1eHj4p-00IGsbWodoWbWTwK2QGE2Jrtc-o9vWO58g$ >

Outside/rs 2022 was a postgraduate conference held on 2nd and 3rd April 2022 at the University of Brighton. The conference aimed to build a common understanding of the challenges in accounting for what we called Outsider experiences and positions, as they relate to gender, sex and sexualities. We invited criticisms, definitions and explorations of what Outside/rs might mean in relation to queerness, transness and beyond. This Excursions Special Issue showcases selected papers from this conference to continue the conversations we began at Outside/rs 2022.

Special thanks to Jane Goldman, Madelyn Detloff, Linda Camarasana and Kathryn Van Wert for their help and support.

Please feel free to pass on to friends, students and colleagues. The papers represent cutting edge research into gender and sexuality studies.

Outsider is perhaps a phenomenological term, a matter of lived experience. Through it, queer, trans and LGBTQIA+ people 'become' Outsiders in particular, personal and political ways that are not easily generalisable. What one does, or is able to do, with and against an Outsider status is nuanced, complicated and often complicit with still other regimes of power (Oswin, 2004). Despite this, there are numerous ways to step 'into' Outsider (Ademolu, 2023) and - together - to organise, feel and queer as Outsiders. This mode of organising and feeling contains also the echoes of historical figures such as Virginia Woolf, her Outsiders Society (Three Guineas, 1938) and the Bloomsbury group, the latter of which was the subject of one excellent panel at the conference (featuring Jane Goldman, Madelyn Detloff and Sam Dittrich).

Warm wishes,
Marielle

Marielle O'Neill
Doctoral Researcher, Leeds Trinity University:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://research.leedstrinity.ac.uk/en/persons/marielle-oneill__;!!KGKeukY!x5zK9ucMyUkRaKx4rAihYCHTHH109CZ0qNXsTgPkhO4EvAEKjJata1eHj4p-00IGsbWodoWbWTwK2QGE2Jrtc-rLASNGng$
Executive Council Member, Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.virginiawoolfsociety.org.uk/events/__;!!KGKeukY!x5zK9ucMyUkRaKx4rAihYCHTHH109CZ0qNXsTgPkhO4EvAEKjJata1eHj4p-00IGsbWodoWbWTwK2QGE2Jrtc-rvPOEt4A$
Submissions Editor, Excursions:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.excursions-journal.org.uk/__;!!KGKeukY!x5zK9ucMyUkRaKx4rAihYCHTHH109CZ0qNXsTgPkhO4EvAEKjJata1eHj4p-00IGsbWodoWbWTwK2QGE2Jrtc-p214KmEg$
Programming Co-chair, Outside/rs 2022 Conference:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://outsiders2022.wordpress.com/__;!!KGKeukY!x5zK9ucMyUkRaKx4rAihYCHTHH109CZ0qNXsTgPkhO4EvAEKjJata1eHj4p-00IGsbWodoWbWTwK2QGE2Jrtc-qbGYX0bw$
Email: m.oneill at leedstrinity.ac.uk<mailto:m.oneill at leedstrinity.ac.uk>
Pronouns: She/Her

This message is for the stated recipient/s only, please do not include others in your reply or forward to others. Thank you.