[Vwoolf] Guidance about Woolf-Related Photograph Permissions

Neverow, Vara S. neverowv1 at southernct.edu
Tue Dec 20 15:18:14 EST 2022

Hi Danell,

Congrats! That's excellent news—and it's very exciting indeed to know that soon we will know much more about the Dreadnought hoax thanks to your stellar work.

The Smith College Library has the Leslie Stephen photograph album (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.smith.edu/libraries/libs/rarebook/exhibitions/stephen/__;!!KGKeukY!x04PFLt2ASxN4ZAdCwC_ILWZ50IgTHiJXoWi5PQHBUItq4a4_WztvY1r4Wq6XP4CMZX6NKGydJhEMQOOOMVcmbDSbf8v5pl68yW5fC2S$ ). Their guidance appears on this webpage: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libraries.smith.edu/special-collections/services/rights-reproductions/attribution__;!!KGKeukY!x04PFLt2ASxN4ZAdCwC_ILWZ50IgTHiJXoWi5PQHBUItq4a4_WztvY1r4Wq6XP4CMZX6NKGydJhEMQOOOMVcmbDSbf8v5pl687ewTjgT$ .

The Monks House photographs are at the Hollis Library at Harvard. Their guidelines are available on this website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://hollisarchives.lib.harvard.edu/repositories/24/resources/3691__;!!KGKeukY!x04PFLt2ASxN4ZAdCwC_ILWZ50IgTHiJXoWi5PQHBUItq4a4_WztvY1r4Wq6XP4CMZX6NKGydJhEMQOOOMVcmbDSbf8v5pl68wgKkGbm$ . Maggie Humm, who compiled the beautiful Snapshots of Bloomsbury: The Private Lives of Virginia Woolf and Vanessa Bell, could probably offer more insights. I recall that Maggie mentioned there were costs involved in publishing the volume.

I'm not sure about any of the details, but these are starting points (and you may already have begun to delve into these sources). I am sure that additional guidance will come from others very soon.

Best,

Vara

Vara Neverow
(she/her/hers)
Professor, English Department
Editor, Virginia Woolf Miscellany
Southern Connecticut State University
New Haven, CT 06515
203-392-6717
neverowv1 at southernct.edu

I acknowledge that Southern Connecticut State University was built on traditional territory of the indigenous peoples and nations of the Paugussett and Quinnipiac peoples.

Recent Publications:

Lead editor, Virginia Woolf: Critical and Primary Sources (Bloomsbury, 2020; with Jeanne Dubino, Kathryn Simpson, and Gill Lowe); Editor, Volume One, 1975-1984, Virginia Woolf: Critical and Primary Sources (Bloomsbury, 2020); Co-editor, The Edinburgh Companion to Virginia Woolf and Contemporary Global Literature (Edinburgh, 2020; with Jeanne Dubino, Paulina Pająk, Catherine Hollis, and Celiese Lypka)