[Somean] FW: Workshop on Linguistic Equity and Justice

Campbell-Kibler, Kathryn campbell-kibler.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 12 11:51:03 EST 2022

From: Research and teaching in Language, Gender and Sexuality list <LANG-GENDER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Marisa Brook <marisa.brook at UTORONTO.CA>
Date: Saturday, March 12, 2022 at 11:50 AM
To: LANG-GENDER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK <LANG-GENDER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Workshop on Linguistic Equity and Justice
Hi everyone,

Note that the University of Toronto, Mississauga, will be hosting a Workshop on Linguistic Equity and Justice<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sites.google.com/view/linguistic-equity-and-justice__;!!KGKeukY!hzmneyC7tV8tzhLVqP4NOifxQ4390SYUKBPMMS1GB4xgqDqqldzl8inIX2FhN5Y3$> online at the end of April. The event has been co-organized by postdoc Samantha Jackson and faculty member Derek Denis. A description:

While language functions as both a means and target of oppression, linguists have, until only recently, rarely critically engaged with historical and contemporary inequities and injustices (cf. Charity Hudley, Mallinson, and Bucholtz 2020). That said, we recognize that many scholars are currently working toward language-based anti-oppression goals. Although these researchers are diverse, we see among them a shared goal of advocacy through critical engagement with language and racism, ableism, transphobia, sexism, colonialism, and classism. We are so excited to bring together like-minded researchers for a two-day workshop of knowledge sharing and community building to be held virtually on April 29th and 30th, 2022. We would love for you to attend/participate in this workshop so our community can share and gain knowledge.

Please note: registration is free and there will be ASL interpretation and auto-generated captions for all sessions.

Read more and register at our website: https://sites.google.com/view/linguistic-equity-and-justice<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sites.google.com/view/linguistic-equity-and-justice__;!!KGKeukY!hzmneyC7tV8tzhLVqP4NOifxQ4390SYUKBPMMS1GB4xgqDqqldzl8inIX2FhN5Y3$>

Best,

Marisa

Marisa Brook (she/her)
Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics, University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
http://individual.utoronto.ca/mbrook/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/individual.utoronto.ca/mbrook/__;!!KGKeukY!hzmneyC7tV8tzhLVqP4NOifxQ4390SYUKBPMMS1GB4xgqDqqldzl8inIX7zfnCWx$>