[OSU-SLSR] SLSR for 03/13/2013

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Fri Mar 15 12:26:13 EDT 2013

Ohio State Service-Learning News

GE Open Option Information Session on 03/18 Interested in applying for GE Open Option Status for a service-learning course? The S+GE status will allow your course to qualify as an Open Option elective course offering, which applies to most undergraduate majors. Join Arts and Sciences Curriculum and Assessment Services and the Service-Learning Initiative on March 18th at 12:00pm at our conference room in 53 W. 11th. We'll discuss the application process and answer your questions. We hope to see you there!

Call for Service-Learning Courses for AU 13 The Service-Learning Initiative is preparing a course list for Autumn 2013 courses to be shared with students and faculty. If your course will have service-learning content, we would love to highlight it. Our last course listing (May Session 2013) received over 200 individual views in its first week online! Registration appointments open on March 18th, so we need to hear from you ASAP. To make sure your course is listed, please contact Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.

Course Spotlight

In order to help service-learning scholars make connections and learn about new projects, we will seek to highlight a new service-learning course in every newsletter. Courses will be shared both here and in the "Spotlight" section on the front page of our website. If you are interested in having your course highlighted, please let Harmony know at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.

ESCE 5270- Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Education This May session course teaches about the need for suicide prevention education and awareness activities  for the youth population. In addition to academic study regarding suicide and mental health, students will receive training on two national recognized best practices employed to prevent suicide: crisis phone assistance and suicide prevention gatekeeper  trainings. Students will be expected to choose one of these  two strategies for their service learning experience. Placements will be with either  the Suicide Prevention Service answering  crisis phone calls  or with the OSU Suicide Prevention Program  providing REACH training  to the OSU community. For more information, please contact Wendy Winger at winger.16 at osu.edu<mailto:winger.16 at osu.edu> .

Resources and Opportunities

Position Opening: Director of the Center for Service Learning and Civic Engagement at Michigan State University The mission of the CSLCE at Michigan State University is to provide engaged, issues and service-focused, community-based, mutually beneficial, and integrated learning opportunities, building and enhancing commitment to academics, personal and professional development, and civic responsibility. The Director administers the academic, curricular and co-curricular efforts of Academic Service-Learning (ASL) and the Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement (CSLCE) and directs the America Reads/America Counts federal work-study tutoring initiatives. For more information or to apply, please visit http://www.servicelearning.msu.edu/.

Free Service-Learning Reflection Guides Available on Purdue's ePubs These academic tools were created to help students with Service-Learning and Academic Community Engagement assignments and projects.  The publications provide a student-focused guide to reflection for Service-Learning projects that may last from a few days to a few weeks.  View them here: http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/sps_ebooks/

Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
The Service-Learning Initiative at Ohio State