[OSU-SLSR] SLSR Update for 1/11/2012

Harmony Cox HCox at esue.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jan 11 08:43:45 EST 2012

Ohio State Service-Learning News

Service-Learning Assessment Workshop on January 23rd, 2012  A recent study<http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/pdf_files/1789-9723-1-PB.pdf> suggests that sustained institutional  participation in service-learning can be effective in fostering a greater culture of community engagement in academic institutions. While this is an important finding, there is still limited data to support these claims, so it is important for us as an institution to measure and track the impact of our outreach. This workshop is the first step.  The workshop is open to anyone with an interest in service-learning research and assessment, from both inside and outside of OSU. This workshop will take place on Monday, January 23rd 2012 from 11:30am-1:00pm. If you are interested in attending and have not yet gotten the chance to RSVP, please contact Harmony Cox at hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu<mailto:hcox at esue.ohio-state.edu>.

Godman Guild Hosts Knowlton School Of Architecture Proposals  Anyone who is interested can stop by Godman Guild at 303 E. Sixth Ave to view six proposals from Knowlton School of Architecture students for the old 3M site at N. Fourth St. and E. Fifth Ave. The purpose of the project is to repurpose the space and promote healthy food, job growth, and other needed Weinland Park resources. The projects will be on display until January 31st. For more information, please visit  http://www.godmanguild.org/blog/2011/12/06/godman-guild-hosts-knowlton-school-student-design-proposals-through-january-31/.

Service-Learning Cohort Takes Bahamas Trip Over the holiday break, 26 Senior Honors Cohort students travelled to Nassau on a service learning trip.  During the visit they volunteered at the Bahamas Humane Society and the Ardasta Gardens & Zoo. They also celebrated the graduation of a trip participant with a beachside graduation ceremony!  For more information and photos from their trip, see  http://service-learning.osu.edu/honors-cohort-travels-to-the-bahamas-01102012.html.

Positions and Opportunities

Buck-I-Serv Seeking Advisors for Spring Break Trip  Now recruiting students, staff and faculty who are interested in serving as an advisor on a Buck-I-Serv trip. Buck-I-Serv is Ohio State's alternative break program that sends hundreds of students out into various communities across the country over winter, spring and summer break to work on a range of social issues. Students have said time and again that Buck-I-Serv was one of the highlights of their collegiate experience. This spring there are over 25 trips that will be working with a variety of organizations. The dates of the break are March 17-24.  The role of the advisor is to provide support to the student led group and represent the university should an emergency arise. More about the role can be found in the application here: http://buckiserv.osu.edu/applications/advisor_applications. If you are interested, please fill out the application and email it back to Amira Shouman at shouman.3 at osu.edu<mailto:shouman.3 at osu.edu> by Friday, January 13.

Community-Campus Partnerships for Health Annual Award:  The Community-Campus Partnerships for Health Award recognizes exemplary partnerships between communities and higher educational institutions that build on each other's strengths to improve higher education, civic engagement, and the overall health of communities. The intent of the award is to highlight the power and potential of community-campus partnerships as a strategy for social justice. The award recognizes partnerships that are striving to achieve the systems and policy changes needed to overcome the root causes of health, social, environmental and economic inequalities. Nominations are due January 16th, 2012. For more information, please visit http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/awards.html<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdepts%2Ewashington%2Eedu%2Fccph%2Fawards%2Ehtml&urlhash=vkpF&_t=tracking_anet>.
Service Opportunity: I Know I Can seeking FAFSA Volunteers I Know I Can will begin hosting a series of free workshops to help Columbus City Schools seniors and current college students submit their Free Application for Federal Student Aid  (FAFSA), on January 30 - February 28. These workshops are not informational meetings, but rather opportunities for students and families to receive one-on-one attention and assistance with completing and submitting their FAFSA.  As a volunteer you will work one-on-one with students and families, helping them complete and submit their FAFSA online. You will be required to attend one training session on either January 17th or 18th. Training sessions are held at Ft. Hayes High School, Building 101 Library (546 Jack Gibbs Blvd. Cols, OH 43215) at 6:00 p.m. For more information, please visit http://www.iknowican.org/fafsavolunteers.aspx.

Events

Project Diversity Recruitment Reception  Project Diversity, a program of the United Way of Central Ohio, is now accepting applications for 2012. Project Diversity is one of central Ohio's premier leadership development programs for people of color. Its eight-month training program is designed to prepare leaders who are dedicated to paying forward to our community to serve on the volunteer boards and committees of nonprofit organizations.
Program staff for Project Diversity will be hosting an informal Recruitment Reception for interested candidates on January 17, 2012 from 5:30-7:00 pm. The reception will be held at Sidebar 122 (122 E. Main Street, Columbus, OH 43215).
For application materials and more information, go to: www.liveunitedcentralohio.org/project-diversity<http://columbuschamber.cmail5.com/t/y/l/yhltvt/qtidkstj/jk/>

Sincerely,

Ola Ahlqvist and Harmony Cox
Service-Learning Initiative