[OOD-users] evaluating ood and noVNC

John-Paul Robinson jprorama at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:59:06 EDT 2018

Hi Folks,

We've been evaluating ood and now have a beta instance deployed on our
cluster.    Over all, the application works great.  It is exactly what
we want to see as a modernization of the  HPC user experience.

Our tests with noVNC are seeing a lot of promise but we've noticed some
rendering/responsiveness issues with this interface.  In particular,
sometimes we see a lack of updates to text typed in a terminal on the
VNC desktop and no updates visible until we click on a desktop outside
the terminal.  We are also seeing issues with Matlab rendering updates
(matlab has been problematic in the past even with traditional vnc
clients, so i'm just putting this one out there).  It seems to me that
the problems are due to a refresh-rate/detection issue between the X
server and the VNC server agent.  If I connect with a traditional VNC
client to the hpc desktop, I see the same update issues as i'm seeing on
the noVNC client side.  We are testing with xfce.

Thanks for all the work on this great product,

John-Paul