[Ohiogift] National History Club News - October 2020

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Thu Oct 15 15:11:21 EDT 2020

| National History Club News |
| a partner of HISTORY® | October 2020 |

 Join The National History Club Syracuse University Johns Hopkins University

|   |

A Call To Spy     Experience the incredible true story of the WWII heroines who changed the course of history.  IFC Films presents 'A Call to Spy,' now available to watch in select cinemas and On Demand: acalltospymovie.com   Watch the trailer: acalltospymovie.com/videos/   As Great Britain's forces were stretched thin during World War II, Winston Churchill's Special Operations Executive (SOE) began to enlist women as spies. Their daunting mission: conduct sabotage and build a resistance. Spymistress Vera Atkins, later the inspiration for Ian Fleming's Miss Moneypenny in the James Bond franchise, was the chief recruiter for this secret army. Atkins selected two unusual candidates: Virginia Hall, an American journalist from Baltimore hampered by a wooden leg, and Noor Inayat Khan, a wireless officer of Indian descent and an avowed pacifist. Together, they worked to undermine the Nazi regime in France. The courage, sacrifices and grit of these three women helped quell the Nazi occupation --- and ultimately turned the tide of the war.   "3.5 out of 4 stars. The film looks reality in the eye. I was engrossed for every moment of the film's 123-minute running time. 'A Call to Spy' is an engrossing and often thrilling spy drama, and a tribute to this courageous and diverse group of women. These women were heroes. Hidden figures no more." --- Roger and Ebert  From Time Magazine: Inside the Stories of the Most Daring Women Spies of World War II   |

     HISTORY     More on the Latest Shows!
               NHC Sponsors
   -  American Association for State and Local History
   -  American Civil War Museum
   -  American Historical Association
   -  Boyertown Museum of Historic Vehicles
   -  George Washington's Mount Vernon
   -  Gilder Lehrman Institute
   -  HISTORY
   -  History 500
   -  Laurel Hill Cemetery
   -  National Council for History Education
   -  National Vietnam War Museum
   -  National World War I Museum
   -  National World War II Museum
   -  Omohundro Institute
   -  Organization of American Historians
   -  Society of Architectural Historians
   -  The History List
   -  The Concord Review
   -  Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund
   -  Woodrom Wilson Presidential Library and Museum

|   |

|   |
|   |
|   |

| Join The National History Club |
|   |     For nearly 18 years the National History Club has inspired students and teachers to start History Club chapters at middle and high schools throughout the United States. Members of local History Club chapters participate in local and national programs, and create their own projects and activities. To date, more than 600 History Club chapters at high schools and middle schools in 45 states have joined the NHC, and there are over 18,000 student members.   If you have a group of students who love history and want to get involved in a fun activity outside the classroom, we are the organization for you! For more information --- including our "How To Start a History Club" guide --- please contact Robert Nasson at rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|   | Start a Chapter Today! |
|   |

| Syracuse University |
|   |     Understanding history --- the record of what people have thought, said, and done --- is essential in understanding the world of today. Undergraduate and graduate students explore not only events of the past, but their meaning and implications for our own lives.   For undergraduates, the department focuses on the broad relevance of history to a variety of careers - given the discipline's emphasis on research, writing, and critical thinking. All students complete an original research project, either through the required senior research seminar or the BA with Distinction. Our active chapter of Phi Alpha Theta, the history honor society, plans field trips and hosts graduate school and career workshops. Undergraduate majors have gone on to careers in law, politics, education, journalism, business, and medicine.   While the Syracuse University History Department could not celebrate the accomplishments of our graduating seniors in person this spring, we still had an outstanding group of eighteen students complete and defend Distinction theses (more than we have ever had in any given academic year). Several Wortman scholars and SOURCE grant recipients conducted independent research at archives and museums before COVID-19 shuttered these institutions. The SU History department inducted several new Phi Alpha Theta (PAT) History Honor Society members. Our graduating class was one of the most diverse group of students we have had.    |
|   | Visit the Syracuse History Department! |
|   |

| Johns Hopkins University |
|   |     The Johns Hopkins History Department offers students the opportunity to work intensively in the classroom and with individual faculty to discover the richness and complexity of history. At the undergraduate level, students begin with general courses, but progress quickly to courses that explore topics in depth and provide experience in researching, analyzing, and writing about the past.   The Hopkins History Department is the oldest PhD program in history in the United States and the recipients of our degrees hold distinguished positions in universities and colleges in this country and abroad. Graduate students work independently and with faculty advisers on reading and research in their fields of interest, while departmental seminars bring them together to discuss their research, forging a collegial intellectual culture.   The department continues to pioneer new areas of research. The department's particular areas of strength include history of the United States, Europe, Latin America, Africa, and Asia. Most members of our faculty focus on social, economic, intellectual, and cultural history. In addition to the department's long-distinguished concentration in the Atlantic world, it hosts clusters of faculty with common interests in transnational and imperial history; the history of gender and sexuality; African-American history; and the history of capitalism and political economy.    |
|   | Explore the Johns Hopkins History Department! |
|   |

|  |
|    :: rnasson at nationalhistoryclub.org   :: http://www.nationalhistoryclub.org    |
|  |
|     |
|  |

|  |

| National History Club, Inc., P.O. Box 441812, Somerville, MA 02144 |

 |  |