[Ohiogift] EMIS reporting for a subject accelerated student

Colleen Boyle, PhD boyleconsulting at me.com
Tue May 16 15:05:49 EDT 2017

So is their plan to retain the student in reading?  If so, they document it like they would any retention for their own records, revert the acceleration element to blank (not 0 - that indicates a previous acceleration), and then make sure the child is enrolled in the proper class next year. If they do not plan on retaining the student in reading, then there isn't a way to have them repeat the same state test grade the following year. Of course, if the accelerated grade level is 3rd grade, that adds an additional layer. Beyond all of the coding discussion, it does also warrant an inhouse convo as to why the child didn't pass the state test. Does the test performance reflect class performance?  If not, what might have happened on test day? If so, was the screening procedure for acceleration insufficient and thus resulted in a faulty placement? Were supports needed that were lacking in this case?  (I know I am preaching to the choir in this case - just some reflective language to help those not as familiar with the process think more deeply beyond odd/fail.)

:). Colleen Boyle
Director Gifted and Talented
OAGC President