[Ohiogift] No Such Study

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Mon Oct 31 09:07:24 EDT 2016

Marc Tucker—October 30, 2016
National Council on Education and the Economy

Will --

I know of no such study.  And, yes, someone should do this.  I've long seen our system of education as appallingly wasteful.  Most college students go to college to learn what they should have learned in secondary school, and a large fraction fail to do so.  Which is to say that, though they have a high school diploma, they leave high school not yet ready to do high school level work. That is waste on a colossal scale.

— Marc

=======

October 29, 2016

Will Fitzhugh <fitzhugh at tcr.org> writes:

Albert Shanker and others long argued that what colleges ask for, high schools will try to provide. It seems that colleges are not asking high schools to teach students to write term papers.

As a result, and after many many professor complaints about poor expository writing, most four-year colleges, including Stanford, Harvard, etc. now require Freshpersons to take a semester or more of remedial expository writing (although they don’t call it that).

If Ohio State spends $5000,000 a year for writing instructors, and there  are 2,500 (?) four-year colleges in the country, what is the annual cost of not asking the high schools to teach their college-bound students to write term papers?  2,500 x $500,000 = $1,250,000,000 ?

Has any study been done? Could one be done? I would be very interested to see the total expenditure for this policy. Surely such a large expenditure—and such a waste of student academic time—are worth a look?

Will Fitzhugh
The Concord Review
tcr.org