[Ohiogift] Skipping a grade

Cherese Fiorina cheresefiorina at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:15:17 EDT 2016

I am not an educator but a parent - with three gifted children.

   - The oldest son skipped 8th grade and has never looked back.  Not
   once.  Perfect decision for him.  In college now and just took the MCAT at
   19.
   - My middle son - could have skipped - but did not want to.  Never
   considered it.  Perfect decision for him.
   - My daughter, the youngest, skipped kindergarten and passed the IOWA
   with flying colors for a second grade skip. We elected to NOT skip her a
   second time but to subject accelerate.  She has struggled recently as she
   moved to middle school - not with the academics - those are stellar but the
   maturity of what is required to be taking high school level  honors classes
   at the age of 11.  The maturity and discipline is very different.

I have lots i can talk about on this subject and I think everyone needs to
look hard at the child, the family and the school.  In our case, our kids
pushed us - they wanted more.

Good luck

Cherese Fiorina
www.konabear.com