[Ohiogift] Skipping a grade

Randi Gross Nathenson randinathenson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 14:10:03 EDT 2016

Thank you,
It is a complicated situation. My oldest son was born 5 days before the
kindergarten cut off, and although he was academically ready, he was not
socially or emotionally so we held him back and I stand by that decision.
He has a much more tentative demeanor than his younger brother. He has been
offered acceleration and does not want to do it, he is happy and
comfortable and has his friends. He is getting enrichment within the
classroom which works for him. The problem is I am not sure what other
options we have. Subject acceleration has worked, but next year it would
mean being transported to a separate school building and logistically that
is difficult and I am not sure it would work. Right now he spends most of
his day in the higher grade, including recess 4 days a week. We are having
trouble working on an alternative that fits the needs of my 8 year old.
They both see a therapist and have been talking about this, and we are
doing things to distinguish the oldest as the oldest. I am a
psychotherapist myself so I tend to be pretty aware of the emotional and
developmental pieces at play.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Colleen BOYLE <colleenboyle at mac.com> wrote:

> Typically I agree with this opinion to not accelerate into the grade of an
> older sibling. However, there should also be consideration given to the
> family dynamic. I have had an example where it was extremely necessary for
> the younger student and the family dynamic and older child's personality
> were such that it worked out fine - even to the benefit of both students.
> (Granted - that is one anecdotal case compared the bigger research
> evidence.). So, that portion is a critical item to consider very carefully,
> and in this case, you would want to make sure the whole child needs of both
> children are considered in the process. As you are probably already
> realizing, when it comes to raising asynchronous gifted kids, there is no
> such thing as the ideal education setting in existence. So, it becomes
> about finding the best fit of all options with the most benefits and fewest
> and least problematic downsides. Consider all options in this case and just
> proceed with caution.
>
> Colleen Boyle
> Director, Gifted & Talented, Columbus
> President, OAGC
>
> > On Sep 15, 2016, at 1:13 PM, Karen Rohde via Ohiogift <
> ohiogift at lists.osu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Accelerating a sibling into the same grade as an older sibling is a huge
> issue and a critical item on the Iowa Acceleration Scale.  It changes the
> family dynamics forever.  Do not do it unless both are accelerated.
> >
> > Karen Rohde
> > Berea

Randi Gross Nathenson MSSA LISW-S
Highland Counseling Services
5564 Wilson Mills
Suite 201
Highland Heights, Ohio 44122
(440) 473-9679
www.highlandcounseling.com

The preceding e-mail message (including any attachments) is solely for the
intended recipient and may contain confidential, non-public, or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, use or distribution of the information included in this message
and any attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return
e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any
attachments from your system. Thank you.