[Ohiogift] Gifted Identification Reporting

Art Snyder artsnyder44 at cs.com
Tue Mar 29 11:06:24 EDT 2016

   Gifted Identification Reporting

Just an FYI for all of you responsible for gathering EMIS gifted reporting data: March 31st is the deadline to report your district gifted students in EMIS as newly identified for the 2015-16 School Year for it to be included in the totals on next year's district report card. Any student reported identified after that date will be included in the following year's data.  See the message below for further clarification:
If you are screening for Gifted Identification after March 31 this year, this information is especially important for you. All districts will benefit from an understanding of this change which was reflected in our current Local Report Card.
“The timeline for Gifted reporting to EMIS is unchanged from previous years.  However, ODE will be using the March 31st date for gifted Identification for the Report Card. Those students with an identification date after March 31, 2016 will be counted in the next year’s Gifted Input Points (2016-2017.)”
The following confirmation is from Marianne Mottley, Director of the Office of Accountability.
That is correct.  Nothing has changed with how you report data to EMIS.  What has changed is whether we consider a student to be gifted or not for the report card.
Let me begin by saying --- this rule was in effect for the 2015 report card too – it’s not new for 2016, but it WAS new for 2015.
You report a month when a student is identified and a student must have been identified with a March, 2016 date or earlier in order to be considered gifted for the 2016 report card (and any ID date between 3/1 and 3/31 would have the March code for the  month code).  If the date is 4/2016 or later, they will first appear on the 2017 report card in the gifted indicator.
We used this same rule for 2015 --- only the date was 3/2015 or earlier for that report card.
The issue is service.
When a student is identified, it takes at least 45-60 days to write a gifted service plan (WEP).  The gifted inputs are calculated to give districts points for the percent identified AND the percent of identified kids who are served.
We heard from the field that it wasn’t fair to include a kid in the “identified” percent if there was no time to serve him in the current school year.  So – we backed the ID date up to March to ensure that a school has April and May to write a WEP if they want to ‘get credit’ for service in the current school year.

Via:
Pat NaveauGifted Services Coordinator
Coldwater Exempted Village Schools
419.678.2611, ext. 4111