[Ohiogift] Parents aren't people?

M. René Islas mrislas at nagc.org
Mon Aug 31 08:04:33 EDT 2015

Hello Margaret and Sandra,

Thank you for calling NAGC out for neglecting to treat parents as true partners in gifted education. From my perspective, parents are the first and primary educators in the lives of children. School systems, organizations, and even educators can forget that this is the case. Educational institutions need to remember that parents offer their children as gifts to help achieve the organization’s or individual work purposes. Thank you for reminding us to have humility!

I have the pleasure of serving as NAGC’s new executive director. I have been on the job a little over two months and still learning. However, I clearly see the need for parents to establish their proper and strong role in NAGC. I commit to working with all of you, the Board of Directors, and the NAGC staff to support and serve parents of children with gifts and talents.

I need your help to make progress. Can we set up a time to talk and for you to share your feedback with me? I also would like to see if we can begin developing a plan of action.  Perhaps we can set up a Google video chat for the three of us and then solicit feedback and ideas from the broader group. What’s your availability for a call this week or next?

Warm regards,

Rene

————————
M. Rene Islas
Executive Director
National Association for Gifted Children
mrislas at nagc.org<mailto:mrislas at nagc.org> | 202-785-4628 | @MRI77