[Ohiogift] Parents aren't people?

Anne Flick anneflick at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 29 13:45:56 EDT 2015

I hope we can all stay unified and increase our effectiveness.  These concerns may be good ones to bring to NAGC's new executive director, who invites phone calls (see excerpt below).Anne

On behalf of the members and Board of Directors at the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC), I applaud your role as an advocate for gifted programs for high-ability learners.  As you may know, the NAGC Board of Directors recently named me the organization's executive director. I am excited and honored to lead the NAGC team in its efforts to advocate for high-quality gifted and talented education. My goal is to significantly enhance NAGC's services, resources, and collaborative networking for our members and the field. <snip>
|  |

For as long as I can remember my life revolved around and in school. My grandfather served as a distinguished teacher and principal in nearly all of the schools in the border town of Nogales, Arizona. My aunts and uncles continue to be teachers and administrators in the Arizona public schools, and my wife, Michele, is a teacher with experience in early childhood education and behavioral therapy support for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).  We are the parents of four bright children ranging in ages from three to eleven years old. Like many of NAGC's parent members, we struggled this year with the decision to move our children from our comfortable neighborhood school to alternative learning environments where our children will receive the appropriate support and challenge to maximize their learning potential. We truly understand the importance of resources and networking for parents as they contemplate what's best for their children. I am honored to be a member of NAGC.
<snip>
Please feel free to give me a call any time. Thank you for your support. Warm regards,
|  |

M. René IslasExecutive Director