[Ohiogift] IB (Diploma) vs AP

Gifted and Talented in Ohio Discussion List ohiogift at lists.osu.edu
Tue Feb 24 16:55:16 EST 2015

Hi,
I am also a lurker but a parent.

My understanding is it depends to some extent on the particular program (so investigate your particular option).

From what I can tell, many of the IB programs are very heavy on the essay writing (even in non language arts classes!) which makes me reluctant to consider it for my STEM kid.

The other thing that I hear from other parents is that the APs are more compartmentalized with a la carte options whereas IB tends to be all or none with a not very scale-able workload (whereas you can choose how many AP classes to take each year).

Finally, although IB appears to be gaining more acceptance it seems APs are more widely known and accepted in this country.

I have zero personal experience with IBs but thought I would pass along what I have filtered / gathered from other forums and other parents.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone